It is a long weekend. Good Friday is off for majority of the offices and companies. And the Thursday was declared a holiday. So you see, a long weekend. A short break to a hill station to beat the heat would be ideal. And this was the talk of the lunch table or in the pantry most of the time. Do people even realize why a holiday was declared? It is voting day for majority of the states. Polling has already been done on few states. There was a news which read, ‘metro construction has slowed down as workers have gone back to their states to cast vote’. There were pics of tribal men casting their vote. Photo of tribal women with the new born standing in the queue to cast their vote. What is wrong with the so called educated working class which does not want to vote!
We know to complaint of poor government. We know to complaint about the corrupt politicians. We sit and analyse about each member who stands for election. We argue for hours about how useless a party is. We brainstorm the different strategy various party uses. We have an opinion about each and every move of the politicians. We read articles and keep sharing and tweeting. There are people or rather pessimists who write only bad thing about each and every party. And clever strategists who write just to confuse you! We argue endlessly in FB in favor of our party and make our friends foes. We sit an analyse for hours about Modi’s wife! Man seriously? You applaud live in relationships and then criticize Modi has a secret wife! You criticize Kejriwal that he is spineless and hence he stepped down. Ya? How many times have you stepped up for yourself and your rights? Have you at least stood up for the just annual hike and promotion that you should be getting? You criticize about Sonia Gandhi’s nationality and then you get married to a foreign lady in Iyengar style wedding! We know only to share memes and punch dialogues in FB, twitter and write para of answers in quora.
|Assam tribal women on their way to vote. Courtesy The Hindu|
But are we willing to make any change in the system? It is not necessary for you to start a party and clean the system but do your duty and cast vote. People get vexed up after voting enthusiastically for the first few times. You soon think, ‘what difference will it make’? My one vote will not change the destiny of India, well it does brother. Are you happy with a corrupt party sitting in the center and eating off your money? Are you happy to see corrupt politicians staying in sprawling bungalows while you are struggling to close your loan? I am not writing this in favor of any party but for argument sake, consider some of the candidates, are they not doing some good in their states, at least to highlight their good deeds to come to power? Then is it not that somewhere some body does get benefited? Why are we so self centric and keep looking for a no tax day to turn out?
We uneducated literates do not want to vote! Why?
1. Half of it is in abroad! – Forget about those settled there! What about all short term people out there?
2. I cannot travel to my hometown! – Do you think construction workers took flight to north east to cast their vote?
3. It is hot summer yaar – Yaa.. we are born and brought up in AC. It snows for half the year in our country, they should have conducted elections then!
4. IPL is going on! – that is in the evening. That is equally corrupted with match fixing and you cannot even play a role in bringing a change there.
5. I have to stand in queue! – I find this super odd as how people cannot tolerate standing in a mixed queue! Your parents and fore fathers were not engineers dear! Just because you returned from a six month onsite project neither makes you Diana nor Charles.
6. What did the government do for me? – Will you stop talking to your mother because your younger brother got a bigger share of cake than you?
7. Yet another corrupt politician comes to power big deal – ya so keep watching! Go press NOTA. Don’t argue that majority NOTA does not mean candidate is defeated. Cast the majority NOTA in your area and then see how the media buzzes around you.
8. There is no worthy PM candidate – Do you know the list of candidates who are standing in your constituency, who are they and what they do?
9. It is the poor who get subsidies from my tax what did I get? – You don’t cast the vote but they do! Now whom does the politician will do good to so that he gets more votes? Whether you cast the vote or not you have to pay tax! A party/politician will not bother about sect of people who does not help them get a majority.
10. My name is not there in the voter’s list – Sighhh..
Government should come up with a scheme to track if you have cast your vote or not, like how all your finances are tracked through PAN card. And then government should give additional benefits or preferences to people who had cast their vote. Say you go to a bank seeking loan then you should be given preference over a non voter. Only then everybody will rush to vote. You have to vote because it is your right! You need to make this government ‘by the people’. If you do not vote somebody else can always fake as you and cast vote to the party they worship. If you do not vote just stop complaining then! Don’t you talk against the government or India when you have not done your part properly! Finally, at least to put up a proud photo of your inked finger in fb, CAST YOUR VOTE.